McKnight Fellowships for Dancers: Guidelines
The Cowles Center is pleased to announce the 2019 round of the McKnight Fellowships for Dancers. This program is made possible by the generous support of The McKnight Foundation. Read the full guidelines below.
Three unrestricted fellowships of $25,000 will be awarded.
1. Intent to Apply has passed (Sept. 5, 2018)
Applicants who missed the Intent to Apply deadline may still submit a final application. However, they will not receive program updates, are not eligible for application assistance, and their live performances will not be viewed by panelists. First-time applicants to the program, who missed the Intent to Apply deadline, may send us an email for further info: McKFell@thecowlescenter.org
2. Final Application: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 3:00 pm CST
Our website will be open to accepting final applications by January 16, 2019. The final deadline is firm, the application site will close down at exactly 3 pm on the deadline date.
Applicants will be notified of the decisions in early June 2019.
Fellowships provide recognition and financial support for mid-career Minnesota dancers. The program is designed to award mid-career dancers whose work is of exceptional artistic merit and who have created a substantial body of work over a period of time.
Resumé and application materials should indicate a history of sustained professional dance work over a period of at least five years, demonstrated through performances, creative work, residencies, grants, fellowships, or other recognition. Accomplishments must be outside of accredited degree programs, i.e. student performances will not count towards the minimum five-year period of professional accomplishment.
The intent of this program is to recognize and support midcareer artists living and working in Minnesota who demonstrate a sustained level of accomplishment, commitment, and artistic excellence. Artists who are eligible for these fellowships:
· Have or maintain MN residency for at least one year prior to application and for the duration of the fellowship year.
· Are mid-career with a body of work that demonstrates a sustained level of accomplishment, commitment, and artistic excellence.
· Can only apply to one McKnight Artist Fellowship in any artistic discipline within a year.
· Have not been a recipient of a McKnight Artist Fellowship within any artistic discipline in the last five years (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018).
· Demonstrate growth and ongoing artistry since their most recent McKnight Artist Fellowship.
· Are not staff, board, or immediate family of the McKnight Foundation or fellowship administrative partners.
· Are not enrolled full-time in an academic program.
A panel of two out-of-state and two Minnesota dance and arts professionals will review applications and select fellowship recipients. As possible throughout the season, local panelists will view applicants’ live performances.
FELLOWSHIP BENEFITS: SOLO COMMISSIONING PROJECT
The fellowship program will fund a newly commissioned solo dance work for each selected dance fellow. These commissions (each with a fee of $3,000) will go to choreographers selected by each dancer fellow in consultation with the fellowship program. The new works, performed by the dancer fellows, will premiere on a joint showcase, SOLO, presented by the Cowles Center within two years of the award date. The awarded dancer may not also be the commissioned choreographer.
Fellows receive additional support for career development and are invited to attend a four-day retreat in rural Minnesota.
If you have questions about the technical aspects of the application or online submission, contact the SlideRoom Support team at email@example.com. They are open 9 am - 9pm Mon - Sat and will respond within an hour.
If you need access to a computer and the internet, go to your public library or Springboard for the Arts.